Tuesday, March 30, 2010

This Saturday @ The Hidmo



I know it's been a minute. But it has been straight up craziness since I have been back.

I am happy to announce that this Saturday, April 3rd. I have a show coming up at The Hidmo (2000 S. Jackson). It will be a short set featuring my very good friend, Tim Carey, on guitar.

Most people know that I sing a lot of Samba, from Brazil. But on Saturday, I will be performing a Zamba, which is a dance from Argentina. It is, rhythmically very different from Samba. First in that Samba is in 4/4, while Zamba is a mix of time signatures. Some say that it is either all in 6/8 or all in 3/4. The way I feel it, It's in both. The melody is definitely in 6/8 while the guitar is in 3/4. This makes it very difficult to sing.

Zamba was originated in Peru and traveled down through Bolivia and Chile before resting in Argentina.

If you would like to listen to some Zamba you can find it on YouTube. Obviously, the great Mercedes Sosa sings it the best. Or you can come to The Hidmo This Saturday at 9, and listen to mine and Tim Carey's rendition of, "Zamba Para Olvidarte." Which means, "Zamba to Forget You."




Also be sure to check out the origins of this rare art form in more detail. There are hundreds of genres from Latin America and each one is truly special. I encourage you all to broaden your musical horizons!

See you this Saturday!

No comments: